

Hi all
Still Andy blogging (I'm the only one who'll sit out in the evening with the mosquitoes, and walk back along the dark jungle path to the cabin). And I'll try to get a photo or too on ...
Got to Guatemala City Saturday, and headed straight out to Antigua by taxi. This is a beautiful old-style town, which is very touristy but manages to carry this off without losing its integrity. It's surrounded by volcanoes, so it's also an incredible setting.
We spent the first afternoon wandering round Antigua (the monastic cloisters were my favourite), then got up early on the Sunday to go on a tour to the nearby volcano (can't remember the name, so I'll call it P). 2 hours in a rattling minibus (sorry Mrs. H - no seatbelts) followed by a 2 hour hike uphill - but it was worth it. The photos show how close we got to the molten lava - close enough for our guide to toast marshmallows. I'd write more, but just trying to get this done.
Got up early the next morning to catch a minibus to Guatemala City (a polluted, crowded dangerous place), then straight out by not-so-luxury coach to Rio Dulce, where we are now!
Love the picture of the volcano... how hot were the rocks? The nice red colour gives it away a bit!!
ReplyDeleteHope the mossies aren't as aggressive as the Scots midge
Love to all
Uncle Andrew
Oh my god. That looks really close to the boiling hot lava. Toast marshmallows? I bet you could cook a pig roast in less than 10 minutes on those rocks!! You're all very brave - or just mad. And for the record, the crab journal made me laugh, alot. Lets hope you can all look back on that moment soon with a smile x x x
ReplyDelete